Once a Coffee-Junkie, Always a Coffee-Junkie
I may no longer need 3 pots of coffee a day to keep me going, but I still love the stuff... and it still gets my brain running in circles.
Consider this the dumping ground for all the random thoughts, opinions, and rants that would otherwise clutter my cranium.
You're welcome!

Monday, January 4, 2016

Diagnosis, Please

There are those who would argue it is an understatement to say that I am an emotionally reserved guy. And there would be others who would say, "He has emotions?!?" In truth, yes, I seldom show much in the way of emotional range beyond annoyed, really annoyed, and (occasionally) mild indifference. Why is this? Who's to say? Perhaps it comes from a childhood devoid of hugs, maybe it's simply the result of a cynical mind probing the harsh realities of this thing we call life.

Or I'm a jerk. I guess we'll never know.

Anyway... Something is happening. Something so weird and foreign to me that I'm not even sure how to describe it. I seem to be developing some sort of "condition", I think. I have no idea what kind of condition, only that it comes with a very disturbing symptom. Get a load of this...

I came across a YouTube video today of a little girl playing the Star Wars theme music (rather brilliantly, I might add) on her synthesizer. I thought it was pretty cool, shared it on Google+, and then showed it to my daughter when I got home from work. After only a few bars, as I was trying to point out how technically challenging the piece was to a teenager who probably has no capacity for understanding this, I felt my vision begin to swim. I blinked a few times, then continued my pointless commentary, only to find that my voice was cracking. For a second, I couldn't figure out what was happening, but it quickly dawned on me that, Holy Crap, I might be starting to cry!

Seriously, Star Wars has a special place in that organ of mine that moves blood around my body, but come on! It's music, for crying out loud (pun not intended)...

Needless to say, I made an excuse about the video being to long to watch right now, hit the power switch on my phone, and hurriedly found something else to do in another part of the house. Close call!

Later, as I was watching TV with Lisa, I received a notification on my phone about something shared with me on Google+ about Parks Canada making their Park Passes free in 2017 in honor of the 150th anniversary of the National Parks system. Definitely not emotionally-charged material, as I'm sure we can all agree. Or so you'd think.

As I was trying to tell Lisa about it, since we love going to Banff as often as possible but don't really look forward to the $20 fee that only seems to be enforced on the honor system, I felt the tremble creeping back into my throat and the heat rising in my ocular cavities. Again! It was going to happen again, dammit! Only a quickly-feigned coughing attack (convenient in light of my recent chest cold) saved me from having to explain how I can be stone-hearted and immovable during a fight that renders my girlfriend to a sopping mass of sniffles and tears but get all blubbery myself when I find out how great this country we live in is. Just because we have many amazing things to be proud of as a nation, not the least of which is our generosity toward our fellow man...

Uh oh... I think... I think it might be happening again...

Am I dying?

No comments:

Post a Comment